As per the Hon`ble Supreme Court verdict ragging is a criminal offence. Ragging in all its forms, within or outside the institution/campus is totally banned. “RAGGING” means the following:- Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
Punishable Ingredients of Ragging:
1. Criminal conspiracy to ragging.
2. Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging.
3. Public innocence created during ragging.
4. Violation of decency and moral through ragging.
5. Injury to body, causing hurt.
6. Wrongful restraint.
7. Wrongful confinement.
8. Use of criminal force assault as well as sexual offence or even unnatural offence.
9. Extortion criminal trespass.
10. Offences against property.
11. Criminal intimidation.
12. Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offence against the victim(s).
13. All other offences following from the definition of ragging.
Depending upon the nature and the gravity of the offence
as established by the anti ragging committee of the
institute, the possible punishments for those found guilty
of ragging at the institute level shall be any one or any
combination of the following:-
1. Cancellation of admission.
2. Suspension from attending classes.
3. Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
4. Debarring from appearing any test/ examination or other evaluation processes.
5. Withholding results.
6. Debarring from representing the institute in any regional, national or international meets, tournament, youth festival etc.
7. Suspension/expulsion from the hostel.
8. Rustication from the institute for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
9. Expulsion from the institute and consequent debarring from admission to any other institute.
10. Lodging of FIR.
11. Display of names and punishments awarded to perpetrators of ragging on the notice boards.
12. Collective punishments: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institute shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential Raggers.
Click on the following links to know more!!